Friday, January 22, 2010

Food & Drink - a start!

After arriving on a beautiful sunny and warm Saturday morning, Dan and I headed out to the east coast area to walk along the beach and have some local seafood. After sitting down at a lovely seaside restaurant, we were unsure what to order to eat. The Chinese waiter recommended the Fried White Fish and we also decided on the Fried Baby Squid - I mean we like calamari, right?
Well - what arrived were what looked liked French Fries but with little black eyes - Fried White Fish. They tasted a little like French Fries, just really, really fried. Then we were presented with the Baby Squid. I guess certain things don't translate because what we were served were deep fried Sand Fiddlers. Thank goodness for barbeque sauce but even smothered with sauce, it was what I imagine grasshoppers would taste like. (I'm going to do my best not to find out for sure!)
The bright spot was the Tiger beer! As Yuengling fans, we felt right at home except that we couldn't just order "a lager" like we do in Doylestown.
We've eaten at several good restaurants since that first meal and most have been good and varied in cuisine. Still having a hard time knowing what I'm ordering at the Chinese food stalls - hawker centers or if they're inside and therefore air-conditioned - Food Republics. My digestive system suggests that I ease into the local cuisine.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like your on Globe Trekker! I'm eager to hear more! - Dona

    ReplyDelete